Monday, February 25, 2008

"Bitch is the New Black!"

I almost couldn't believe my ears. I turned to my husband and said, "I can't believe Tina Fey just said that!!" She was the guest host on SNL this weekend and did a monologue during the Weekend Update, chiding women voters for not supporting Hillary . You can check it out here.
Hearing her say that made me think about a conversation I had with my mom, mother-in-law, and two sisters-in-law last summer at a barbeque/pool party. Somehow the issue of Hillary running for president came up and I said at the time that I would break with my party and vote for her soley based on the fact that she is a woman. My mom then said that she doesn't believe that a woman should be president--that men are supposed to be the leaders. My mother-in-law agreed with her and said that it wouldn't be biblical.

What?!! What?!! I nearly choked on my hot dog. "Don't you know the bible was written by men?" I asked. I sort of cringed after saying that, thinking that my mother-in-law surely believes I am going to hell now. One of my sister-in-laws got really upset and said, "Then do you think that I shouldn't have a career?" Needless to say it was a very tense conversation and I think we all just dropped it before things got ugly.

This was back before Obama had really come on the scene with his inspirational speeches and promises of change. I have to say he has swooned me a little. I really believe this country is ready for change and I don't know if having the same two families take turns running the country is really my idea of change, even if one of them is a woman. I know Obama has been criticized for his lack of exerpience, but frankly, I like the idea of having a president that has not been so jaded by a lifetime in politics. My husband and I did not caucus on February 9th because to participate in the primary process in Washington you have to pledge allegiance to a certain party. We are frustrated by our country's two-party system and now consider ourselves independents. We are pulling for Obama though and hope we can cast our vote for him come November. Sorry Ms. Fey!

4 comments:

graggirl said...

hmmmm....Does the bible have the word president in it? What about Deborah the Judge in Judges?
Ummmm...I am an B. O. woman myself. But, surprisingly. Ryan may cause a marital feud by voting Republican for the first time in his life.

graggirl said...

This is Ryan...I think Washington has it right. Independents shouldn't get to vote in primary's. I think the reason why a real democrat isn't in the running is because a lot of states let independents vote. I'm hard left and I want a hard left candidate, independents voting stuck me with bad choices. I want Edwards. I want someone to make the past 8 years of right wing craziness to look like middle of the road. I want a liberal, and out of the Obama, Clinton, and McCain....McCain gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, whoa. Easy there. Let's not go off the deep end and place Edwards on anyone's ballot. An unintelligible panderer like that should not be on any sane person's radar. But then again, I guess he's not; whacked-out fringe folks notwithstanding. If Edwards had his day, we would be reading about legislation to turn the moon to cheese and the seas to lemonade and blah blah blah blah blah. Let's all hold hands and hug the biggest tree possible while Al Gore beats his drum... Anyway, why don't we just elect a board of directors from the Fortune 500 to run the country? Those guys really know what's up. Seriously, if you're not worth at least a billion dollars, your opinion doesn't matter anyway. So why don't we let the truly important people run the country. Oh wait, they do. Or did you think that these multi-hundred-million dollar campaigns are paid for out-of-pocket by the candidates?

P.S. those 'B.O.' women should put on some deodorant. :P

j said...

What shocks me is the language that is used on TV these days without a blink of the eye. I know I sound prude but sheesh, anything goes these days. I am disheartened byt the entire political scene. Jen