Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Give Me Some Wood...Hey! Don't Cut Off My Rock Supply!


Okay, the title of this post may sound a little shady, but I'm really referring to a great game called Settlers of Catan. My husband and I were first introduced to this game back in the summer of 2005 by our good friends that we met when we lived in California. Everytime we get together we play this game and I have to say that the level of competition gets pretty intense. The only way I know how to explain Settlers of Catan is to say it is sort of like Monopoly on steroids and with a lot more strategy involved. Anyway, we don't get together with our friends very often since they now live in Ohio and we live in Washington, so we recently got our own copy of the game. At first we couldn't get my husband's family (our local game-playing gang) interested, but this last weekend we finally convinced them to play, and now they are all hooked! We have played the game about 5 times in the last three days (it takes about 2 hours/game). We are trying to find an expansion pack now so that more of us can play at once. With the original game you can only have up to 4 players and the expansion pack allows up to 6 players. You probably wouldn't want more than 6 players because then it would take too long. If anyone else has played it I would like to hear what you think of it, plus any tips you want to give me for winning. I am going to call it beginners luck because I have not won any of the games I have played in recently, even with all my experience!

5 comments:

j said...

Melissa, don't know if you would be interested but TAG you are it. Come over and get the details. It's a VERY EASY book meme, and shouldn't take up much of your time. Jennifer

j said...

Oh, and I will come back tomorrow to read your post. I am blogging in my sleep right now! Jennifer

graggirl said...

My tip: Never trade sexual favors for resources. Is hubby OK that have been winning. Seems to me like you have brought the devil into your home ;) It is so great to have friends that are competitive like us!

graggirl said...

PS. I really miss you today!!!

j said...

OOhh that comment after mine sounded interesting! I haven't played the game but we play so very few games. Hubby and I play an occasional game of Sequence. Our kids have had an untold number of board games but tend to play a few games then discard the pieces to the wind along with their interest. They had fun playing Scrabble at the beach in November. Middle child and Oldest are SUPER competetive and games, in the past, usually ended in hurt feelings. Hard to have fun when someone is pouting. Glad you have had so much fun with it though and I'll pass it along to a friend of mine who is an avid gamer.