Thursday, February 21, 2008

Boy Art

Sometimes I find it challenging to get my son excited about doing art projects. This has been somewhat disappointing to me since I consider doing an art project with him the perfect way to spend an afternoon at home. Recently I realized that maybe it isn't that he isn't interested in art, just not the type of projects I was suggesting. So I have tried to be more creative and find projects that appeal to the sensibilities of a 4-year-old boy. Here are the results:

This project started because my son was taking pom-poms and cutting them up. I said that it looked like fur and maybe we could use it to make an animal or something. I think he came up with the idea to make a monster. I drew the outline of the body and colored the face. My son added the foam horns, claws and googly eyes.

The next project we did was painting with unusual objects. Cousin N was here for this one. We bought the plastic cars at Target for $1.00 each. Most of the other objects are from our kitchen.

The first two paintings are done with just the cars and the second two are done with all the tools.




I think they had just as much fun cleaning up as they did painting!


I have also found that my son considers some of his building projects to be art. His preschool teacher said that she always took pictures of her son's creations to make it easier for him to take them apart, so I have adopted the habit as well.


3 comments:

j said...

Melissa, I love the creativity that you used with these projects. I know you all had a blast! Jennifer

Oh, and come by to wish my kiddos well on their recent accomplishment. You are so eloquent, I would love for them to hear from you.

j said...

Hey Melissa. I was happy to see that you had come by. Just wanted to say HI! Jennifer

Hope said...

Hi Melissa,
Just came over from Jennifer's blog to say hello. I love kid's artwork! My granddaughter has art class at school and they do interesting things. The art teacher then submits their work to Artsonia where family and friends can view it and leave comments. Really neat! I'm always asking Claire (granddaughter), "How did you do that picture?" So then we do one together!! It's so fun! I may be a Granny but I'm still a big kid too! :o)

It's so nice to meet you. Come by and visit me sometime!

Hugs,
Hope