Saturday, April 12, 2008

It's the Process, Not the Product!

While my husband was out of town, I decided to do a fun, kid friendly meal, and hopefully distract my son from the fact that Daddy was not home for dinner. I thought we would make sandwich faces. Here is what I envisioned them looking like:


My son, however, had different ideas. First of all, he didn't want any cream cheese on his and then decided to use the goldfish (I had intended them to go on the side) as his main adornment. Later, I let him make one with peanutbutter and raisins.



They are both supposed to be monsters. The first one is a one-eyed monster with a very large mouth. The second one has 14 eyes and a row of raisins for the mouth at the bottom of the face.
Sometimes I have a really hard time not getting frustrated with him when I have this great vision worked up in my head of how a project is going to turn out. I have to remind myself that it is the process and also spending time together that matter the most. I also have to remember that he is not always going to be interested in every activity that I think sounds really fun, and it won't be a good time for either of us if I push him into it. I would like to hear if anyone has any other thoughts on this or similar experiences.
P.S. We are still planning to do a cooking project with the edible googly eyes from our swap partners but decided to wait and use them on some sort of dessert, since the main ingredient is Milk Duds (probably wouldn't be too great with garlic flavored ceam cheese).

1 comment:

MegandMag said...

et frustrated sometimes because although Lacy can draw bodies she will still scribble a lot. But, I think this is related to mood. Or having too many thoughts. I try and always ask her if she drew anything in paticular which gets her on a really involved story. I don't think that she had the story in mind when she scribbled but it works another part of her creativity. And the really the question is: Did Sammy enjoy it? Because if he did then you did what you set out to do: you thought of soemthing fun and he had fun!
My parents are moving to Montana on May 17th. So I am thinking we can definitly swing by in July on our way home since we will probably need to visit them as opposed to having them visit us post baby.