Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Little Showing Off


This is a series of cut paper illustrations that I have been working on that will eventually become a book that ImagiKid can "read" to JoyBaby. I have been very fascinated with this style of artwork lately. If you check out the sidebar to the left you will see links to the work of some very talented author/illustrators that have inspired me. I guess I have also been pretty fascinated with food lately. I am working on a children's story about a boy who will only eat foods that are his favorite color, and I recently submitted a story to a publisher (I am bracing myself for my fist rejection letter) that took place in a grocery store. I think maybe I want my stories to relate to children's everyday lives, and of course everyone can relate to food. It is such a central part of our daily lives. I know I spend a great deal of time shopping for it, preparing it, cleaning up after it has been consumed, but I wonder how much time the average person spends thinking about it. I am actually writing this post after getting out of bed to make myself some strawberry toaster waffles and hot chocolate because I just couldn't go to sleep feeling hungry. This is after a dinner of tortellini with tomato and sausage sauce with peas and a salad!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

i am sitting here with my almost 3 year old, he looked over and screamed, "carrot, apple, sandwich, eggo... yeah i want to eat it in my tummy!"

Great work, creative and unique!

Melanie
heading off to get an eggo waffle....

j said...

Your book pages were lovley. I love paper crafting in a different sort of way - scrapbooking. It's like the kindergartener that is still inside of me is yelling "Paper! Scissors! Glue! Whee!" and food...what a love hate relationship that is. GOT to start a diet...Enjoyed your post - Jennifer